You don’t have to keep overpaying for electricity, or keep polluting the world with dirty electricity. If you live in Texas or Illinois, you can switch and start getting cheaper and/or greener power now.
In Texas, if you are currently not under contract (on a month-to-month or pay as you go plan) you can switch right now. You can also switch right now, with no termination fee, if your plan expires in the next 14 days (you are within the state mandated grace period). If you are not in either of those 2 groups, you can still switch right now, but you are likely under contract and subject to a termination fee ranging from $100-$200 if you switch.
If you fall into one of the first 2 groups you should always switch right now. You are definitely paying more than you need to if you have a month-to-month plan or a pay as you go plan, and if your plan expires in the next 14 days you want to switch now so the company can’t hit you with month-to-month variable rates upon contract expiration. If you have a cancellation charge, it may still be worthwhile to switch. Our average customers save ~$50/month and some of our customers have saved $100s/month. If you haven’t changed providers in more than a year, you have more than a few months left on your contract, and you live in a 2000+ square-foot house, chances are you can save money by switching. You can go to www.powertochoose.org and pick a plan.
Things to remember when picking a Texas plan:
1) Always choose a fixed price plan
2) You can often save money with 3-6 month plans
3) Make sure you note your contract end date, so you can sign yourself up for your next plan before the one you choose expires
4) Your use varies so take a look at www.smartmetertexas.com to help you figure out what your expected usage will actually be
5) Always look at the fact label and make sure the company isn’t playing games with pricing using large credits or other tricks to make their plan look cheaper
In Illinois, the vast majority of people will have no cost to switch (basically if you’ve never switched before there will be no cost to switch). So you can go to www.pluginillinois.org, choose a cheaper (current price to compare from ComEd is ~7¢/kWh ) or greener plan and in 3 to 7 weeks you will be receiving power from your new provider.
Two things to remember when choosing an Illinois plan:
1) Always choose a fixed price plan!
2) Make sure you know when your plan will end and remember to switch again to a new plan ~5 weeks before the end of your plan to avoid getting hit with variable rates at the end of your contract (to figure this out you also need to know when it starts).
And lastly, remember there is an alternative to spending your precious tine staying on top of this stuff. You can let Energy Simply manage it all for you. We are electricity market experts and we are always thinking of ways to keep you in the best cheapest (and potentially greenest) plans. We sign you up for the best available plan, track prices in case it ever makes sense to switch mid-contract, and switch you before your contract expires so you never get stuck paying variable rates. And it will only cost you $5/month. Sign up today!